Thursday 18 December 2008

A Merry Little Christmas....


Finally, it's sinking in that it's Christmas time in about seven days! It's a funny thing - because it just hasn't felt like Christmas at all this year. Normally, I would have Christmas day organised to within an inch of its life - tree up, presents bought (and wrapped), the Christmas lunch menu decided on, the table setting mapped out.... This year though, I have to keep reminding myself that it's Christmas at all. I'm putting it down to country living - and not being near the shops! In past years, I'd be up at the mall, surrounded by shiny decorations with 'jingle bells' blasting out from loud speakers. I'd be seeing Santa in all the stores, and people busily running around picking out gifts. But up here on the farm, there are none of those usual Christmassy things to keep me on my toes. But I have to say, that I'm liking this way of approaching Christmas. It's kinda relaxed. And very pared back! Somehow I just know that everything will be done in time for Santa to make his way down the chimney. And that all will be gorgeous on the day. And with fingers crossed - we will be graced by good weather and may be able to start the day with a swim at the beach! Now, that sounds like a good Christmas to me...


4 comments:

Pineapple Villa said...

Do you know Shannon i am exactly the same this year. I mean i put up the tree etc very early and did all that and then it just stopped. I usually would have a menu printed out, food ordered, pressies organised - all down to the last detail and i have done nothing! Its kind of liberating lol ! Mel xxx

Ness Lockyer said...

Shannon, we haven't done a lot this year either, as we are in the midst of renovating. I too am the planner, but this year we are having a bbq, and a laid back day with all the family. It MUST be country living. Wouldn't swap it for city life ever!
Ness xx

JK said...

Hope your Christmas is fabulous Shannon and thanks for a lovely read - and some great books (Sense Of Style went in a few Christmas presents this year!) Enjoy the summer.
Jen

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I envy you! I'm right in the heart of the city madness. The stores, teh Santa Claus, the panicked shoppers. Sigh. I have to keep reminding myself of the true spirit of the season. It's so easy to get swept away in the tornado!