Thursday 2 June 2011

Milk...

Marie Claire Maison

Urban Eco Chic
I'm generally a colour girl - as I'm sure you have all work out by now! Other than the white walls - which are a favourite, I'm all for filling a space with colour - not a kaleidoscope of crazy colour so much,  but a good dollop of it nonetheless.  However, I'm currently working on a project that requires subdued tones, tones which I am a little unfamiliar working with but never the less, inspired by the dewyness and milky effect they give. This does take me into slightly different territory - and so I've been playing around with a much softer palette (washed out blues/greens/neutrals of all types) and I'm absolutely in love. Where have I been, all these years, I say. There's something quite lovely about a desaturated palette - there's an ease to it, a softness, a laissez-faire nature. As a decorator, it's experiences like these, where you are pushed beyond the walls of your comfort zone, that allow you to grow. And, being given the opportunity to grow in your chosen genre is a gift. Do you find yourself being pushed out of your creative comfort zone? How do you get yourself through the process...

5 comments:

1 Funky Woman said...

Theres something calming and comforting in these spaces. I love color but I'd go for either one of these!

Megan

Karena said...

I admit that I need pops of color, however this space is very serene!

Come and join my amazing Giveaway from Tracy Porter!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Unknown said...

So funny, I'm turning my beach house into a part time rental home and I've had to pare down, and in doing so decided on a new palette of neutrals and washed out accents of acqua--not my usual palette at all, but I have to admit that it's very tranquil! Love your inspirational photos!

xo Mary Jo

Nicola Duncan said...

Beautiful post, Shannon. I'm a colour junky too, so I think we can sometimes be just as moved by the absence of colour as by its presence.
Being relatively new to the world of design and a student again at the age of 44, I find myself pushed out of my comfort zone almost every day! I have learned to embrace it actually - I breathe through it and ask myself, what do I need to see, what am I missing, what is this telling me? Then it's so much fun on the other side of it!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh yes, sometimes you have to rest those eyes for colour & settle on a beautiful array of neutrals. This is where texture, shape & style can take over in the same tones, just gorgeous!! Love Posie